Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The next day - Part 2

 
On that day I took the train into Manhattan. I had big plans, a list of places to go. Didn't get to do it all. Got tired part way through and didn't have time to rest and then continue because I had to be back by a certain time in order to go to my sister in the evening. Knowing that might happen, I started with the most important place first! The American Folk Art Museum

They are having a two part special exhibit, of the quilts in their collection. Wow, this is some exhibit. Many skillfully executed quilts from long ago. Some more recent ones, too, including the one that Paula Nadelstern donated to the museum from her exhibit last year. I wasn't sure if photography was allowed, so I didn't take out my camera. Sorry. You can see some photos on their site. It looks like the special exhibit they're having at the Lincoln Square branch is very interesting, but I just didn't have time to get up there. If you're going to be anywhere near NYC during the time of these exhibits, I urge you to make time to go to the museum and/or it's branch. You won't be sorry.

Next stop was M&J Trimmings. There are two shops that I make sure to get to on each and every one of the trips I make to the U.S. M&J is one of them and City Quilter is the other. And, I never leave either one of them without making a purchase. So, here's what I bought at M&J. Such a fun place!


Next stop was Butterfly Fabrics. They have a lot of fancy fabrics, including all kinds of different silks. I went, on recommendation, specifically to see the dupioni silks. There were so many wonderful colors. But, they would only cut a minimum of a yard each. That's a lot for me and I wanted to get a bunch of different colors. I couldn't decide what to do, so I told myself I'll come back a different time. Maybe find out if I could find someone to share it with me. So, I did go back at the end of the next week and this is what I bought. Aren't they gorgeous? I'm going to try to sell some small pieces to help defray the cost.


Yes, I did manage to do lunch somewhere in between. I do all this by foot and I love, love, walking on the streets of Manhattan, but, here is where I got tired, and it's a good thing, because this post is getting too long!

One more thing. A few weeks before I went to the states, I placed an order with Jackie at Canton Village Quilt Works, for a bunch of Kona solids. She usually has them at a good price and they were on sale. Don't they all go great together? You can learn about the sales by subscribing to the newsletter or from Jackie's blog.


Are you noticing a color trend here? I have yet to decide what I'm doing with all this stuff.

To be continued...

Enjoy!

Debbie

2 comments:

  1. MJ Trimmings is on my list...girl, I LOVE the colors you picked out both in the silks and the konas. Wow. I can't wait to see what you do with these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and like to reply to the people who take the time to comment. If you are a no-reply blogger, which means that your email address is not set up in your profile, or you don't have a profile, please leave it in the text of your comment. Thanks!